1. Prompt Engineering || 2. Query customization || 3. Output rendering || 4. Output edition || 5. Exports and integrations
In the ever-evolving landscape of technology, AI apps have emerged as a game-changer. They possess the power to transform user experiences significantly. However, the user experience in an AI app differs from that in a traditional app. In this article, we will explore the major differences between them and offer five design tips to create outstanding AI app experiences.
Specificities of AI apps
1. Prompt engineering
In AI apps, users often require assistance in the form of prompts. Unlike traditional apps, where actions are initiated by the user, AI apps need to proactively guide users through interactions. Design intuitive and context-aware prompts that gently steer users toward desired actions, making the AI app feel helpful and responsive.
2. Query customization
AI apps frequently involve querying or requesting information. To enhance user experience, allow users to customize query parameters. Offer predefined options and advanced settings, ensuring users have control over the AI's behavior, leading to personalized results and a sense of empowerment.
3. Output rendering
AI-generated outputs can vary in quality and time required for generation. Consider offering users options for output rendering. Provide both low-definition and high-definition previews, along with estimated waiting times. This empowers users to choose between speed and quality, depending on their preferences and requirements.
4. Output edition
One hallmark of AI apps is the ability to edit AI-generated content. Whether it's in-painting an image, editing text, refining video, or fine-tuning music, design intuitive editing interfaces. Ensure that users can easily manipulate AI-generated content to meet their creative needs, fostering a sense of ownership and creativity.
5. Exports and integrations
AI apps often serve as tools for content creation. Empower users with seamless export and publishing features. Allow for various output formats and integration with popular platforms. Make sharing and publishing content generated by the AI app straightforward and user-friendly.
5 Tips for designers working on AI apps
- Intuitive Prompts: Craft prompts that anticipate user needs, appearing contextually and guiding users effectively.
You can use AI-assisted prompting, selectable key words or pre-written prompts examples.
- Customizable Queries: Offer users the ability to tailor query parameters, ensuring personalized AI interactions.
Keep it between 4 and 6 parameters.
Below that level, the user can get frustrated with standardized output. It means that the output won't be flexible and personalized enough.
Above that level, the user can get overwhelmed by the settings and switch to a more simple product. It probably means you can divide the experience in several steps.
- Output Rendering: Play with rendering speed and quality. Since "processing time" is the key metric to most AI subscription models, you don't want the user to feel frustrated by throwing precious seconds or minutes out of the window for useless renderings.
Best is to provide a short Low Definition rendering very fast and let the user confirm if this is the direction they want to take before consuming their processing credits.
- User-Friendly Editing: Create editing interfaces that empower users to refine AI-generated content effortlessly.
This should be on the roadmap of A-grade AI tools that already validated their first value proposition. Now that their user can produce high quality content, the UX can cover a wider set of tasks: AI generated image -> Let the users add filters, color adjustments or text ; AI generated video -> Let the user add music or stitch other imported videos...
For these increments, no need to re-invent the wheel. Implement a simplified version of already-existing media edition products.
- Seamless Export: Enable users to export and publish AI-generated content easily across various platforms. These horizontal integrations can be a game changer for your go-to-market strategy. The right partner, the right integration could propulse your product in the workflow of much more creators.
Bonus: Export quality and or facilitation can be the other/extra payment gateway
In conclusion, designing AI apps that deliver exceptional user experiences requires a deep understanding of the unique challenges they pose. By focusing on proactive prompting, query customization, output rendering, editing capabilities, and export features, designers can create AI apps that not only meet users' needs but also exceed their expectations.
If you're eager to dive deeper into the world of AI app design, we invite you to participate in my upcoming Figma workshops. Join me to explore hands-on techniques, best practices, and the latest design trends in AI app development. Together, we'll shape the future of user-centered AI experiences.