Hey thanks for taking the time to read about Web3 Island Makers’ - latest updates.
This post will interest you if:
- You are currently taking part of the early days of any DAO
- Curious about what we are building at Web3 Island Makers (WIM3)
It has been 2.5 months since the first idea of a strong Web3 community in Tenerife, Canary Islands, emerged, last July 2022.
To most of us, these 2.5 months feels like years as this summer was of a rare intensity.
As of the 24th of September, WIM3 is a beautiful emerging Decentralized Autonomous Organization of 14 active Makers. And after a few months of work, we are experiencing an impressive amount of opportunities, an exciting momentum and community growth and also a growing workload.
Let’s have an overview of all the topics we have covered over the last months.
👉 If you don’t know anything about Web3 Island Makers, maybe start by our website and come back here right after.
How is the team doing?
The team is in very good shape.
Excitement, fun and focus dominate the conversations and work sessions. Summer vibe and tourists are slightly leaving the island, leaving us with a “Back to school” kind of mood. Fun fact: a storm is hitting the island as we’re writing this post! So we can even enjoy rainy weekends to focus on our work!
Very important to assess our organizational model: 100% of the team has a daily part-time or full-time job. It leaves us with execution and communication challenges.
After 2.5 months of work side by side, friendships have deepened and delivery capacity has obviously improved. Most of the active members are highly autonomous on their tasks and synchronise on punctual workshops or on the never-missed Friday’s Weekly. 👉 Join us on the next one.
We observe that our organisation is highly effective when we put some effort on:
- Autonomy and asynchrony We make sure that everyone has access to the right resources and tools to execute properly. We make sure that global or team synchronization meetings - like the never-missed Friday’s Weekly (👉Join the next one) - are kept short and sharp with a strong focus on “What’s next?”
- Mid-term vision alignment We make constant updates about our 3 to 6 months horizon given the inputs and outputs of the community. We share a lot of ideas and reading/video resources to share a common reading of our environment. We make sure that highly visual materials are used to communicate internally. Calendars, schemes or slides facilitate memorization.
- Quick execution We make sure to deliver on the spot. We ship new materials, answer messages, help each other without postponing. In other words, after a long day of work, when comes the choice between Netflix and this “Last email” that would confirm an opportunity or unlock another teammate, we go for the email. Timing is key in this adventure.
How are we structured?
For the first 2 months, WIM3 was completely unofficial and informal. In a nutshell, it was 10 friends on a Whatsapp group organizing events and meeting every week.
We quickly wanted to switch to the minimal version of a real implemented DAO.
In a Decentralized Autonomous Organisation a major part of the activities, roles and decisions are processed, and minted on-chain.
Any budget proposal, Any vote, Any new role granted to a member, Any specific achievement completed by a team, Anything that happens in the life of a DAO should ideally be processed and/or logged on-chain.
This way, the DAO has a common, secured and tamper proof historic that everyone can read and refer to for future projects, decisions, rewards,…
That being said, we had to set a structure ready for on-chain interactions. And this begins with identifying all members with their wallet address.
So as of the 24th September 2022, we have a more official model that breaks down like this:
Around 350 accounts follow us on different social platforms. Events and video contents triggered 2 major waves of sign ups totaling 40 Web3 professionals who wants to join WIM3.
Accepted applicants were granted a Community Access Token - minted on mintkudos. It is a Soulbound NFT that you can claim on the service, and it looks like this 👇
👉 Note that we review new applications every Sunday and update the mint authorized list.
This Community Access Token lets you enter our token-gated Discord server.
It works like this: we use collab.land to check your wallet. If there is the Community Access Token in it, the service will automatically grant you the “Maker” role on the server and most of the channels will appear to you.
👉 Here’s a nice Miro visual summary of this whole process
We encountered a few loopholes in the process that is quite new to most of our Makers. For example: switching services is not intuitive and relatively demanding compared to a “Follow” button on Instagram. We are here to support you in this process if needed. And we are also talking directly to third party services in order to patch these gaps in the UX.
What is next for the DAO?
New inputs and ideas emerge on a weekly basis. Our environment moves fast and the opportunities must be assessed quickly.
Here are some goals that should not move over the next months:
- Extend the number of active Makers to ±50 before 2023
- Open the DAO to investment from its members with a private governance Tokens sale
- Develop our first set of DAO tools like proposal and voting system, member dashboard.
We are also very open to new opportunities.
A very singular one emerged lately: the opportunity to join a bigger decentralized network of Web3 Makers in order to build, together, an ecosystem at a European scale. More on this very soon. It would for sure have a strong effect on how WIM3 evolves.
Most importantly, we want to give this DAO a sharp utility. We want to solve problems. We want to help Web3 startups. We want to meet university students and tell them what’s happening.
We generally want to foster this Web3 revolution in the whole Canarias or further.
Read next section to understand how we do this. 👇
What we work on: WIM3 Projects.
Our goal is to foster the Web3 revolution by contributing to the growth of the ecosystem. We work on various Web3 projects, for now, mostly at a local scale in the Canary Island.
For now we have 7 projects in our backlog:
- Help an early stage startup in the Hospitality-Entertainment industry in their Marketing effort and search for Product/Market Fit.
- Help a local ecological association to develop an app related to outdoor activities and ecological mindset.
- Help Computer Science students at University to understand what is Web3 and how they can contribute to this revolution.
- Help an Open Source scientific publication platform to decentralize its business model with relevant tokenomics.
- Help a Music DAO to find their Market with a refined UX.
- Fork a Decentralized finance protocol.
- Build our on DAO management proprietary tools.
👉 If you need help on your project, we would love to hear about it: fill in this form.
We can address a wide range of problematics as the members of our community have very different skillsets:
- 20% Developers
- 16% Founders
- 10% UX/UI Designer
- 10% Project Managers
- We also have Product Managers, Investors, Marketers,… Even an architect!
Here are a few plans for the future we would like to share regarding this WIM3 Projects chapter:
- We want to experiment various new collaboration formats with the projects we support by using new and pre-existing tools: equity, fiat, tokens, kudos, staking,…
- We want to use a scalable tool that matches relevant Makers with relevant submitted Projects
What about WIM3 events? WIMake? WIMeets?
Web3 Island Makers is definitely settling as a local in-person community. Events organized so far largely contributed to the current momentum. New faces join the party each time, new opportunities emerge, and good memories are forged.
We intend to maintain high level of focus on upcoming events, especially on WIMake 2022.
> WIMake 2022
The project is overall in very good shape. Momentum is rising internally, the whole team is generally motivated by our collective latest achievements in the preparation of this major event. With the sales opening for the tickets approaching (2022-09-28) and the first concrete invoices and spendings we also feel a natural little pressure growing. Preparatory work is almost behind us: now let’s sell tickets.
Here’s the current state of the event:
- Locations: Hotel Vallemar for the 2-days of bootcamp is booked. A deposit was made. Food services and other logistics have been reviewed.Andana Club is booked for the Friday evening diner party.
- Hotel Vallemar for the 2-days of bootcamp is booked. A deposit was made. Food services and other logistics have been reviewed.
- Andana Club is booked for the Friday evening diner party.
- The budget was voted with these key figures: 80 makers, 10 mentors, 10 WIM3 members.Accommodation for 2 nights and flight compensation up to 250€ for mentors.Tickets be released progressively, with a price range going from 35€ for Students without any options included to 190€ for Makers with full options.WIM members will also contribute by paying their food service and Networking party.A forecast of 4000€ in sponsoring is planned.The final balance estimation sums up to +2200€👉View detailed voted budget - access will be granted on demand.
- 80 makers, 10 mentors, 10 WIM3 members.
- Accommodation for 2 nights and flight compensation up to 250€ for mentors.
- Tickets be released progressively, with a price range going from 35€ for Students without any options included to 190€ for Makers with full options.
- WIM members will also contribute by paying their food service and Networking party.
- A forecast of 4000€ in sponsoring is planned.
- The final balance estimation sums up to +2200€
- The team of speakers and mentors is composed with 5 confirmed high profiles - 2 more are in discussions. They’re being invited to our Discord with a special access token and role of “Partner”: Léopold Biget - Youtuber @ Coin StationEsther Groenestein - Product Manager @ CentrifugeAndrea Silvi - CTO @ HUDISharon Sciammas - Co-founder @ W3b LabMaxime Guerois - Co-founder @ The Arch
- Léopold Biget - Youtuber @ Coin Station
- Esther Groenestein - Product Manager @ Centrifuge
- Andrea Silvi - CTO @ HUDI
- Sharon Sciammas - Co-founder @ W3b Lab
- Maxime Guerois - Co-founder @ The Arch
- Partnerships are on the way with: W3B LabThe ZEC - Zona Especial CanariaTenerife Work and PlayCryptoland Podcast
- W3B Lab
- The ZEC - Zona Especial Canaria
- Tenerife Work and Play
- Cryptoland Podcast
- Tickets: A partnership has been made with a local amazing artist Chema Mendez for 3 different visualsSales will be entirely held on OpenSea with different generations of tickets as NFTs. They will be sold in USDC (Polygon). Funds will be received in web3islandmakers.eth Gnosis Safe. 👉 Check our safe on EtherscanFunds will be redistributed to members of the DAOs who will pay fiat the service providers of the event with. These members will be free to chose if they want to cash out the received USDC (withdrawing fee can be added as a refundable expense).Tickets are eligible to secondary market.Separate optional tickets will be available for Lunches and Networking party
- A partnership has been made with a local amazing artist Chema Mendez for 3 different visuals
- Sales will be entirely held on OpenSea with different generations of tickets as NFTs. They will be sold in USDC (Polygon). Funds will be received in web3islandmakers.eth Gnosis Safe. 👉 Check our safe on Etherscan
- Funds will be redistributed to members of the DAOs who will pay fiat the service providers of the event with. These members will be free to chose if they want to cash out the received USDC (withdrawing fee can be added as a refundable expense).
- Tickets are eligible to secondary market.
- Separate optional tickets will be available for Lunches and Networking party
- Marketing operations and promotion of the event are on the way. Here’s a non-detailed list of the actions we intend to roll out over the coming weeks: Landing pageAnnouncement emailTrailer videoAds + opt-inCohosted posts on social media with speakers and mentorsLinkedin automations👉 Check the editorial planning for more details
- Landing page
- Announcement email
- Trailer video
- Ads + opt-in
- Cohosted posts on social media with speakers and mentors
- Linkedin automations
- Other promotional actions and opportunities are discussed such as Press publications, in-person presentations at the university, relationship with city halls…
WIMeet#1 and #2 were wonderful. 40 Web3 curious and professionals gathered in Puerto de la Cruz, willing to connect and learn.
In total, several speakers took the stage to present their current projects and industries. In chronological order:
- Tristan Bochu - Product Manager @ Bolero Music, WIM3 Community Lead
- Steve Mariani - Founder @ AMY and Infinix, active Advisor to WIM3
- Mattia Papa - Digital Marketer, WIM3 Community Lead
- Andrea Silvi - CTO @ HUDI, future WIMake 2022 Mentor
Great promotion and post events videos were made that can give you an idea of the mood:
To gather these materials and set up a high quality live streaming we had the chance to be supported by Tommaso Ferrari - an absolute video production expert you should reach out to immediately had you any need regarding audiovisual content creation.
The contents of the 2 WIMeets were appreciated. We understood that WIMeet#3 and next ones should probably be a bit lighter on the content quantity. 1 or 2 speakers are enough, participants are glad to come also to connect and not only learn new technical things.
What about the Makers House?
Our community needs a space to host all our activities. We want to host our own WIMeets. We want to see founding teams burning their brain all day long. We want to experiment hardware implementation. We want to host coworking and coliving activities. We also might throw one or two parties along the way…
A team of Makers is actively:
- Looking for a space to rent
- Building long-term relationships with local institutions and business partners who would like to venture with us on that Makers House
- Conceptualizing the ideal setup, architecture and day-to-day operational run of the space